The world according to pglewis

Social Media, the World Wide Web, SEO and some random ramblings…

Google Nexus One – o2 Settings for 3G and MMS access

Posted on | January 24, 2010 | 35 Comments

I bit the bullet and bought a Google Nexus One mobile last week and am in the process of writing a review of my thoughts since moving from the iPhone 3gs…

Until then I thought I’d post a few of the Nexus One o2 settings that you need in order to get the phone up and running on the 3G network in the UK and together with MMS settings for text messages.

Being a US phone the APN settings don’t come already input so I had to dig around for these and HTC were also rather helpful which was great.

Power on Nexus One Phone and follow the below instructions:

Press ‘Menu’.
Tap ‘Settings’.
Tap ‘Wireless Controls’.
Tap ‘Mobile networks’.
Tap ‘Access Point Names’.
Press ‘Menu’.
Tap ‘Add APN’

Now key in the following settings:

Name: mobile web

MMS port: 8080
MCC: 234
MNC: 10
APN type: mms

Press ‘Menu’
Tap ‘Save’

You’re all done now pretty much.  Keep tapping ‘Back’ until you’re back at your Home screen then restart your phone and you should now have G/E/3G/H internet access as well as the ability to send/receive MMS.

There is a problem with MMS on Android that limits image resolution to 160×120 but if we all keep pestering o2 to update their list of phones and compatibilities this should be solved soon enough.

______________

Comments

35 Responses to “Google Nexus One – o2 Settings for 3G and MMS access”

1. James Masterton
    January 25th, 2010 @ 4:49 pm

It should be noted that there is one other issue with the sending of MMS messages in that the Android implementation on the Nexus doesn’t allow you to restrict the size of the message. Thus when you try to send a picture from the N1 camera, it only ever shrinks it to a size of about 900K which is sadly too big for O2 and their (I believe) 300K limit on MMS messages. Thus you can forward on pictures by MMS but cannot send ones you have taken yourself.

Took my ages to figure that out, I was convinced that the settings people were circulating were wrong.
    .-= James Masterton´s last blog ..Brits Nominations 2010 =-.

2. Paul Lewis
    January 25th, 2010 @ 6:09 pm

Nice point James and one that I’ll look to cover in my next article when I’m talking about the move from the iPhone to the Nexus One..

Finding out loads of things I love about the Nexus One but obviously (as this post suggests) coming up against some slight problems..

Here’s hoping that o2 sort out the phone recognition for the Google phone soon so MMS messaging can be as crisp as the Nexus One screen is when on the web (which is amazing).
    .-= Paul Lewis´s last blog ..Google Nexus One – o2 Settings for 3G and MMS access =-.

3. bob BAZLEY
    February 6th, 2010 @ 11:58 pm

THERE IS A APP CALLED HANDCENT THAT allows you to restrict the size of the message you wont to send ..

4. Joshi
    February 20th, 2010 @ 8:58 am

Brilliant thank you very much this was a big help to me.

5. Robin
    March 16th, 2010 @ 10:06 am

Hi There Paul

Thanks for a great article. Could you just check the username for Mobile Web settings as o2 have just given me them to me.

I have username of o2web.

Not sure if this helps or hindeers.

Thanks again.
    R

6. Paul Lewis
    March 16th, 2010 @ 10:25 am

Thanks Robin,

I’ve updated the post above to reflect this as it seems that o2web is the best username setting for this so thanks for pointing out.

Thanks
    .-= Paul Lewis´s last blog ..Simple Affiliate Marketing – Getting it Right… =-.

7. David Simpson
    March 20th, 2010 @ 9:01 pm

Thanks for the settings there a big help.

8. Kevin Foulds
    March 21st, 2010 @ 10:41 am

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately does not work with pay as you go.
    Been to o2 shop and they are not much help.

Left a message with htc. Hope to have an answer to this problem as i would like to give the phone a good run.

9. Paul Lewis
    March 21st, 2010 @ 10:49 am

Sorry about that Kevin,

If HTC get back to you please post another comment with the answer. I’ll also take a look around and see if there are other settings that can help.

Thanks

Paul.

10. Damien Chambers
    March 22nd, 2010 @ 12:41 pm

Thanks very much for this post. o2 didn’t have a clue how to help. their tech team insisted on sending me instructions for a HD2!

11. Scotty Dawg
    March 23rd, 2010 @ 5:22 pm

Hello all.

Firstly thanks for the settings. I used these and with the exception of the APN TYPE – MMS which I left as none (from another site) My mms messages are now working fine. I think O2 may have finally started recognising the nexus one in at least that when I receive a message the picture is of decent quality and quite big. I still cannot send one direct from the messaging app as it obv does not resize the pics down enough in size. I can resize them in PicSay Pro to medium quality and it sends these fine, these are a not bad size either on the receving end. Hope any of that helps
    .-= Scotty Dawg´s last blog ..Odd indeed =-.

12. Peter
    March 24th, 2010 @ 8:09 am

Thanks very much, this has really helped me out!

13. Gordon
    March 25th, 2010 @ 6:06 pm

Excellent advice. Works fine for me on pay monthly tarrif…and Handcent is excellent…

Thank-you

14. Roridge
    April 1st, 2010 @ 12:31 pm

OR, you can just do:
    Press ‘Menu’.
    Tap ‘Settings’.
    Tap ‘Wireless Controls’.
    Tap ‘Mobile networks’.
    Tap ‘Access Point Names’.
    Press ‘Menu’.
    Tap ‘Reset to default’

which is WAY faster ;)

15. Paul Lewis
    April 1st, 2010 @ 2:22 pm

Thanks Roridge

Not tested that out yet but will give it a go and verify. Worth keeping as a post so thanks as people can try both if one does not work.

Cheers

Paul.

16. Aaron
    April 2nd, 2010 @ 4:45 pm

Just wondering if anybody knows the settings for o2 PAYG ?

17. Paul Lewis
    April 5th, 2010 @ 4:58 pm

For Pay as you go customers try the following settings for MMS messages –

APN: wap.o2.co.uk (contract customers) or payandgo.o2.co.uk (pay-as-you-go customers)

username: o2wap (contract customers) or payandgo (pay-as-you-go customers)

You might have to play around with the ports as well so try Port: 8080 or 9201
    .-= Paul Lewis´s last blog ..Is Twitter Down? =-.

18. MMS Not working on O2 in uk - Nexus One Forum - Google Phone Forum
    April 6th, 2010 @ 5:51 pm

[...] tried every permutation of APN config, this may be of no help and perhaps you've already read this: Google Nexus One – o2 Settings for 3G network access and MMS | The world according to pglewis I've really got no idea where to begin with this otherwise…are you rooted? if so, you could [...]

19. Roridge
    April 20th, 2010 @ 9:59 am

Hi Paul

Also the settings that you get by using the o2 defaults from the Sim are slightly different to the ones you have listed here.

Ror

20. Paul Lewis
    April 20th, 2010 @ 10:02 am

Cheers Roridge

More options people have that they can try the better..

T

21. Paul Lewis
    April 20th, 2010 @ 10:03 am

Cheers Roridge

More options people have that they can try the better..

The settings listed by me originally came direct from HTC in the first week of the Nexus launch as o2 would not give out..

Seems that might have changed now.

22. Tom Pease
    April 22nd, 2010 @ 4:28 pm

thanks

23. Internet setting on unlocked nexus one - Nexus One Forum - Google Phone Forum
    May 8th, 2010 @ 12:50 pm

[...] try this Google Nexus One – o2 Settings for 3G network access and MMS | The world according to pglewis [...]

24. Ben
    May 20th, 2010 @ 7:51 am

O2 told me I couldn’t use my iPhone tariff with my N1. They proceeded to tell me I had to pay more per month for a bolt on. I told them that was rubbish and the manager got upset with me when I got overly frustrated with her. No wonder, because I now find this page and it seems I only needed to change a few settings! Yet another example of getting different information depending on which call center person you talk to!!

25. Daniel Littler
    May 21st, 2010 @ 1:37 pm

i have been looking around for these settings for weeks. i couldnt get either mms or internet on my nexus one. i have a pay as you go sim with o2. i have been trying so many different combinations and this one 100% works for me for both MMS and INTERNET.

NAME: 02 Contract
    APN: payandgo.o2.co.uk
    PROXY:
    PORT:
    USERNAME: payandgo
    PASSWORD: password
    SERVER: http://mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk
    MMSC: http://mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk
    MMS PROXY: 8080
    MMS PORT:
    MCC: 234
    MNC: 10
    AUTHENTIFICATION TYPE: None
    APN TYPE:

hope this helps my nexus one friends :-)

26. Paul Lewis
    May 21st, 2010 @ 10:27 pm

Daniel, thanks for providing these to the readers here.. A lot of people have been searching for these so they will without doubt be of use..

27. RJ
    June 22nd, 2010 @ 2:00 pm

Daniel Littler u ROCK!!!! Cheers man!

28. Charles
    July 29th, 2010 @ 5:47 pm

I went into the o2 Moorgate shop today as I couldn’t send MMS and the guy there re-entered my APN settings as follows.

I am on a pay monthly simplicity contract so this shouldn’t be used for PAYG I assume.

Name: O2 MMS
    APN: wap.o2.co.uk
    Proxy: 193.113.200.195
    Port:8080
    Username: o2wap
    Password: password
    Server: not set
    MMSC: http://mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002
    MMSproxy: 193.113.200.195
    MMS port: 8080
    MCC: 234
    MNC: 10
    Auth type: none
    APN type: not set

MMS now works (tho i have to crop most images to get them small enough for the o2 network it seems … otherwise it just sits there saying ‘sending’ on that item in the sms/mms conversation).

Also tried wap while wireless was off and still seems to work despite the server field being unset.

29. Gordon
    November 6th, 2010 @ 11:00 am

For ANYONE who thinks they have to crop their pictures ..don’t …. get Handcent from the marketplace … it autocrops and sends pictures without worrying about cropping things…

30. Lord Ant
    November 9th, 2010 @ 2:32 pm

O2 were incredibly useless when I asked to manually enter the settings, but I am using the same as Charles with a few minor changes.

The first proxy and port, after apn, I now have blank. I was getting horrible slowdowns and all kinds of issues, I removed those 2 entries and everything is working perfect again.

Also, Auth type on mine is PAP.

Final difference is for APN type, yours is blank but that does not work for me, mine has default,supl,mms entered.

No idea if these are exactly what they should be, but they work best for me. O2 should have been more helpful, I cant understand the reluctance they had, especially considering the original settings they gave me did not even work.

31. Clara
    February 26th, 2011 @ 12:53 am

OMG.
    WOW.
    O2 told me that there is not any setting on O2 for the N1 so to try the setting for HTC phones if that did not work they would give me a £70 traid in for a Galaxy S phone,and they did not work.
    After following the settings on your site and following Charles settings for the simplisity i now have mms. A big THANK YOU.I am so happy to have my N1 fully working

32. ZRC
    May 3rd, 2011 @ 1:05 pm

Just got to the UK and wanted to use my Nexus One with an O2 PAY AS YOU GO sim only it doesn’t give web access. My BF also has a Nexus One and went with Virgin pay as you go…web access no problem. Me thinks O2 need to pull their socks up. They are not looking very smart.

33. Harv
    May 15th, 2011 @ 4:48 pm

boooooo mine still doesn’t work after trying this :(

34. dalia
    July 19th, 2011 @ 12:14 pm

Thanks Rodrige! The option of restore to default sorted everything for me (Pay as you go customer on Google Nexus One).

35. Tasha
    August 21st, 2012 @ 5:31 pm

Thanks very much Daniel Littler. Your settings worked straight away on mine.

Thanks again.